NOTE: This announcement has been amended to clarify the Intern career path requirements; see the Requirements section. IMPORTANT APPLICATION DEADLINE: The first referral of candidates from this announcement will be made from applications received by 11:59 PM EST, Thursday, August 23, 2018; subsequent cut off dates may be established. Responsibilities
These positions are being filled under the Pathways Internship Program which is designed to provide students enrolled in a variety of educational institutions, from high school to graduate level, with paid work opportunities in agencies to explore federal careers while in school. These Internship opportunities are located within the U.S. Department of Agricultures Office of the Secretary, Departmental Administration, and/or Staff Offices located in Washington, DC. The incumbent(s) will provide professional and technical assistance to assigned areas of specialty and interest which may include: Program Administration, Program Policy, Information Technology, Human Resources, Communications, Budget & Finance, Agribusiness, Agricultural Economics, Scientific & Research, Outreach, Congressional Relations, Legal, Farm Programs, and Foreign Agricultural Service. The incumbent of this position assists professional and technical staff by performing a variety of clearly defined tasks designed to increase knowledge and understanding of USDA’s mission and the activities of the organization within assigned area of specialty and interest. The major duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provide outreach and partnership building across USDAs large and diverse mission.
- Assist in establishing and implementing innovative and strategic plans to engage the next generation of farmers, ranchers, foresters, and producers of American agriculture, and various USDA stakeholders, including Congress, Governors, mayors, members of the press, and farm and agriculture organizations.
- Greet visitors and responds to phone and written inquiries, which often requires an explanation in general terms of functions of the organization to distinguish among and between function related to the subject of the inquiry.
- Use word processing software and printing equipment to create, copy, edit, store, retrieve, and print a variety of reports and documents; use database or spreadsheet software to enter, revise, sort, or calculate, and retrieve data.
- This is an excepted service appointment. This is a temporary position with a not-to-exceed date of 1 year; however, an extension of the appointment may be possible without further competition. The appointment may also end early due to lack of work or funds.
Not required Supervisory status
No Promotion Potential